The Sweet Taste Of Summer-By Tim Childs

The Sweet Taste Of Summer-By Tim Childs

With the first half of 2018 somewhat busy, my angling had taken something of a back seat for the first 5 or 6 months. With just a couple of odd days fishing in May and June I had been lucky enough to bag a few nice fish to over 25lb on the few short trips I had done. It wasn't until early July that I managed to get out and do some proper fishing and with the warm summer weather with us it was time to start hunting for something a little bigger.

A chance conversation with a good friend suddenly found me heading off to a 15 acre private gravel pit and with the chance to do a few nights as his guest, I grabbed the opportunity with both hands! The trip was to be a 48 hour session and after a good look around the venue I noticed a few carp displaying their presence in one particular area and was soon set up on the end of a warm westerly wind right on the fish! Tactic wise I chose to fish solid PVA bags at short range and after spodding out a good mixture of Cheshire Particle hemp, snails, crushed peanuts and seed mix along with a good helping of chopped and whole boilies, the traps were set. 

The first night was quiet but the next day the right hand rod burst into life, after a good fight and with a little weed attached to my line I managed to bundle a lovely dark looking mirror into the net. At just over 26lb it was a great start, despite catching this lovely mirror.

I suddenly decided to move swim on a hunch, unfortunately, this time the hunch didn't pay off and the next 24 hours resulted in no more fish for me. I had enjoyed the trip immensely and surprisingly managed to get an invite once more just a couple of weeks later. This time I was really keen and with an idea formulated I set up on the opposite side from the first session again after seeing a number of fish show. I applied another good helping of bait, over 50 spods full on one spot, a clear area of clay behind a big bed of thick weed. A good mixture of hemp, seeds, tigers and chopped peanuts from Cheshire Particle  along with a couple of kilo's of boilies was soon deposited. The first bite came just after dark in the form of a hard fighting 26lb common.

after repositioning the rod I climbed into bed to catch up on some much needed sleep! The next morning dawned quiet but a stiffening wind had my confidence tanks still full. At just after lunch the middle bobbin pulled up tight to the blank and then the line slowly pinged from the clip. The line was super tight and something told me there was a big old carp attached to the end somewhere out in a forest of weed! Winding down the rod arched over and the slow steady fight began. True enough there was a huge bed of Canadian pondweed attached to the line and after much pumping and steady pressure the mass of weed came closer and closer until it was almost at my feet.

Suddenly a huge vortex appeared and the line shot out from the weed that lay in the edge! There was a big carp deep down there somewhere! I frantically ripped the weed from my line in a desperate attempt to gain direct contact with the fish. Luckily the weed cleared a little and then the fight under the tip began. After another 5 minutes or so the fish began to tire and as the leadcore popped up a huge golden common soon lay on the surface, with a scoop of the net she was finally mine. I knew straight away this was something special and with a little help I weighed the lovely common at 43lb 12 oz,  a new personal best common and one of the main targets in the lake! I was over the moon and packed up there and then quite happy with the result. After a slow start to the year the summer seems to be going well and armed with a good supply of Cheshire Particle baits things can only get better!  

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published